Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow (2022) Gabrielle Zevin

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow -- an interesting idea, that when playing a game, there can always be a new tomorrow. Reset and replay. The idea of a book about videogaming was a creative one and Zevin I felt did a good job figuring out a way to tell a story about it, without making it too abstract or vague for those of us who aren't gamers. The story hinges around three characters: Sam, Sadie, and Marx, each playing a key role in the formation of their gaming compan(ies). Sam, the visionary, Sadie, the programmer/implementer, and Marx, the people-person, dealing with logistics. In many ways, this triumvirate is typically found at the top of many companies: CEO, CTO, and COO. I enjoyed how Zevin weaves together their story as young people finding their way through life, combined with their role in their gaming companies, and in how the games factor in their lives. I also liked that a lot of the story takes place in LA (where I'm from) and which I've rarely come across as a setting for novels. On the less complimentary side, I felt the book relied on certain conventions that were predictable (I won't mention due to spoilers) and could have been shortened because some of the story felt like summarizing different stages of the various company developments.